How many CEOs and CIO do you know who are worried that their business will be the next target of a ransomware attack?
I know quite a few. And it’s not an unreasonable concern. Most of them also worry if their data backups are safe from the attack and can be restored?
HPE and Veeam have a simple message for them: “Worry no more because you can counter ransomware attacks with HPE StoreOnce Catalyst integrated with Veeam Availability Platform.”
Ransomware dominates the world of IT security and is vastly different from today’s traditional viruses and malware. Managed by well-funded criminal organizations with squads of full-time developers, ransomware has become a lucrative business for many.
More attacks with higher monetary demands have spread to more companies, and the level of sophistication in distribution methods and attack vectors has expanded. The following statistics heighten the need for a solution that counters ransomware attacks:
- A company is hit by ransomware every 40 seconds.1
- 63% of organizations experienced an attempted ransomware attack in 2017, with 22% reporting these incidents occurred on a weekly basis.2
- At least 15% of businesses in the top 10 industry sectors have been attacked.1
- 71% of companies targeted by ransomware attacks have been infected.1
- Despite paying the ransom, one in five businesses never get back their files.1
Data restore is often not possible because ransomware can access backups. Financial downfall (downtime of mission-critical applications), IT setbacks because of recurring threats, and damaged company brand for victims of high-profile attacks are severe business consequences.
Why can’t my data protection solution come to my rescue?
One part of the problem is your data backups. Data backup stores that are not isolated from the operating system are equally vulnerable to ransomware attacks. Lack of encryption invites malicious access to these stores. Another part of the problem is your data restores. When restoring data from backups, fast recovery is critical in order to get your business up and running again. Even if you have data backups that are isolated from the operating system and you can recover fast, any solution that blocks ransomware attacks must coexist with your existing data protection technologies such as backup and recovery software, backup appliances, and so on.
Data protection solutions that block ransomware attacks include secure and unexposed data backup stores that are not visible to the operating system. They integrate with existing backup and recovery software and provide fast recovery to meet stringent recovery time objectives (RTOs) and recovery point objectives (RPOs). Backup and recovery speeds as well as the level of integration with native database backup and recovery tools determine how well these solutions can respond to ransomware threats.
HPE and Veeam rout the ransomware rampage
The good news is that you can protect against ransomware with HPE StoreOnce Catalyst that integrates with Veeam Availability Platform and with native database backup and recovery software. In addition, Veeam integrates with HPE 3PAR StoreServ and HPE Nimble primary storage snapshots to provide fast, efficient, and reliable recovery.
The solution provides you with:
- Increased data security: Prevent ransomware from accessing or encrypting backup data stores to ensure data integrity. HPE StoreOnce Catalyst with Veeam Software makes backup copies invisible to ransomware. When Veeam is combined with HPE StoreEver tape solutions, customers will benefit from ultimate air-gap protection.
- Fast recovery: Veeam Software integrates with HPE 3PAR StoreServ and HPE Nimble Storage snapshots and HPE StoreOnce Catalyst to provide sub 5-minute RTOs to maintain application availability.
- Reduced complexity: The Veeam Software backup console enables a single point of data management to orchestrate and manage the retention of HPE 3PAR StoreServ and HPE Nimble Storage snapshots, enabling simpler data protection and availability management.
Achieve secure, fast, and simple protection against ransomware attack
Unlike traditional backup approaches, the HPE solution for countering ransomware threats uniquely centers around HPE StoreOnce Catalyst which integrates with the Veeam Availability Platform and protects backups from unauthorized encryption. The HPE and Veeam Software solution provides a comprehensive availability and recovery solution for HPE 3PAR StoreServ and HPE Nimble Storage that can be leveraged for meeting day-to-day RPOs and RTOs while also preventing the catastrophic risk of data loss from ransomware.
1Must-Know Ransomware Statistics 2017. Barkly, June 2017.
2ESG Master Survey Results: 2018 IT Spending Intentions Survey. Enterprise Strategy Group, December 2014.
3Assuming dedupe ratio of 20:1 and the maximum logical capacity of HPE StoreOnce 6600 of 34 PB.